Friday 8 December 2006

Week 1 - Pen y Fan with Benju

One week into the programme.

Went up Corn Du (873 meters) and Pen y Fan (886 meters) in the Brecon Beacons with Benju (just under 2 meters, brother sibling) - had a squeal.

Took the fitness advice Darren gave us and, taking the rocket out of my bottom, slowed right down to keep my pulse much more steady. Felt soooo much better when I got to the top so well worth it. Im sure it won't be long before I'm fit enough to get back to my usual speed and not be visibly pulsating at the top.

Here's my ugly mug between the two peaks. If you want to check out the blog I submitted from the top, heres the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3HcbO9PSbs.
Those are Benju's nostrils that you are looking up at the end. Lovely boy! Madness clearly runs in the family...

It was a gorgeous day when we set off from the bottom, but we soon walked up into the clouds where we were battered by 15 minutes of hail and snow. All adds to the spice of the thing if you ask me (and the Blacks fleecy gloves proved they are worth thier weight in gold!).


So, in case you're in any doubt about whether or not you should plan a trip to the Brecons, I'll leave you with some photos of the day out...

Benju crossing the river at the start.... water trickling in over the tops of his boots... wise man...










The valley on the way up...













Benju eating flapjacks...










View of the path to the top...











View over a pond (Benju's handiwork)...










Both peaks and the obilisk...













Packed your bags yet??


Top tip of the week:
Drink LOADS and LOADS of water. Put a two liter bottle on your desk and try and get through it during the day. You will notice an immediate change in how you feel - you'll have a lot more energy, feel less tired and sleep better too if my experience is anything to go by.




No comments: